As spring arrives, we tend to get spring fever and undertake new projects around the house. Before inspiration carries you away, please be aware that these activities affect your pet, too, and can expose them to toxins that may be harmful to their health:
Household cleaning supplies
Be careful that your pet does not have access to the cleaning supplies and other harmful household products. A comprehensive list of harmful cleaning and household products can be found on the ASPCA website by clicking here.
Fertilizers, insecticides, herbicides and snail bait
The use of fertilizers, insecticides and herbicides increases, which means that your dog or outdoor cat is at risk of exposure. Make sure to keep them out of reach of your pet and that you monitor them when in new outdoor surroundings. Also, click here for a list of toxic and non-toxic plants.
As water collects into puddles it brings with it all the chemicals, bacteria and other harmful toxins found in the grass or other areas it has run off from. Allowing your pet to drink from standing water exposes them to all sorts of bacteria and diseases. It’s best to bring your own water supply or wait until you get them back home.
Pets have allergies too! If you notice your dog is itching, sniffling and sneezing please give us a call so we can look into it more thoroughly.